Re: Install and RAID

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 12:48:42AM +0100, Andreas Trottmann wrote:
> My opinion: Please make it possible to setup a software raid system and
> install debian on it, right from the boot floppies. This would be a
> tremendous plus for the useability of debian in "small server"
> environments.

Agreed.

>               But please make it optional -- once you wrote the code
> that configures the raid partions, it's not hard to ask the user whether
> to use it (and consequently use /dev/mdX to install the system on) or
> not use it (and continue with /dev/hdXX or /dev/sdXX).

Would it be possible to initialise new partitions with RAID
support (i.e. reserve the extra space needed for RAID information
at the end of the partition), but stick to direct /dev/hdXX
access by default?

Wouldn't that allow people to activate RAID some time after
installation, even if they originally didn't plan to, while not
suffering from the discussed /dev/mdX-needs-kernel-support
issues?

Fabian
--
Fabian Knittel <fknittel at gmx.de>  http://www.esc-web.de/fabian/
1024D/838B4D20  949E 0F39 422D 53EA F463  8C06 9E07 5078 838B 4D20