Re: Migration to Pentium?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 14:49:22 +0000 (+0000), Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 02:45:51PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Harald Dunkel wrote:
>
> > > Maybe you have seen the Stampede Linux distribution
> > > (http://www.stampede.org/). They promise a speed improvement of
> > > 10% - 30% compared to i386 binaries. I would like to get this from
> > > Debian, too.
>
> > I've *never* seen any proof of those claimed 10-30%.
>
> The 30% end of it probably comes from the original Intel work - they
> hacked GCC until they saw 30% improvements in a given set of benchmarks.

I told stampede about the various inaccuracies and outright lies in their
webpage years ago, nice to see they've fixed them.  At the time, PGCC
claimed something like 5-15% with 30% in a few, special handcrafted cases.

Stampede also claimed "more window managers than any other distribution".
At the time they had 2 or 3 and Debian had 30ish.

Adrian

Email: adrian.bridgett@iname.com
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing. GPG/PGP keys available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux  -*-  By professionals for professionals  -*-  www.debian.org