Re: making sponsorship easier and make (love && (!war))

++ 15/01/01 21:56 +0100 - Mariusz Przygodzki:
> Hi Peter,
>
> My comments are below.
>
> > (1) This is where SBD makes his work. SBD takes files from incoming,
> > checks signature of .changes file if it came from creator of package,
> > builds it, checks if it is installable, lintians it (most common
>                                           ^^^^^^^^
> This is problematic checking actually. I love lintian but sometimes lintian
> doesn't love me, even I do everything O.K. :-)

Almost all package errors lintian reported can be corrected. I think
check shouldn't withdraw the package if it has W:, not E:.

> > errors). If error appears, SBD mails log to package creator, In other
> > case it moves compiled packages to developer's directory where
>
> is a potential bottleneck. Currently every time I inform my sponsor(s) I have
> ready packages to upload (so I have to be sure what I want to upload - I am
> talking with live humans). If this stage is automatically you can expect a
> flood of "almost checked" packages (I am talking with nobody) so the queues
> in these directories may be longer, and longer.

Why? the package creator should run lintian, etc. himself before
uploading, so this is double check. SBD should run every 12pm MSK for
example and package creator can remove packages before SBD runs if  he
found the bug.

> > he makes final checks, that couldn't be found with lintian. If everything
> > is alright, he signs dsc and changes files and uploads to debian
> > incoming queue.
>
> Do you really believe a sponsor want to check fifth or tenth update of a
> given applicant's package?

Yes. If I'm responsible for this packages (and if I'm sponsoring
future developer, I'm responsible for his packages) -- the answer is yes.

					NIDD
The Debian Project. Debian booth@Linux Expo Road Show coordinator.
Linux Expo Road Show Timeline: 23.04.01 Prague, 24.04.01 Budapest,
25.04.01 Warsaw, 26.04.01-28.04.01 Moscow.
Conferences in all cities and exhibition in Moscow.
Visit http://people.debian.org/~nidd/LERS-TODO.html if you're intrested.
Mail contact: nidd@debian.org             Phone contact: 7-095-4261812