Re: g++, namespace std and STL

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 01:04:28AM +1100, Chris Leishman wrote:

> Hopefully someone can set me straight on this one...

> - The STL, as distributed with g++, does NOT use namespaces as it should.  It
>   appears to be an older (or modified) version of the STL from that on the
>   SGI website.  Why is this different or old?
[SNIP various other standards conformance things]

A lot of these things come down to the C++ standard being fairly new and
GCC 2.95.2 being fairly old.  At the time few if any compilers would
have had complete support for the standard, G++ being no exception.

Current GCC (which is starting to move towards a 3.0 release) is much
more standards conformant, particularly WRT the standard library.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/