Re: Close list

hamish@debian.org (Hamish Moffatt)  wrote on 25.12.00 in <[🔎] 20001225000229.C19015@silly.cloud.net.au>:

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 08:43:51PM -0500, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > I have a comment:  NO WAY IN HELL.  The day that we start rejecting DUL
> > posts is the day that several people leave the project, me included.  How
> > many ISPs these days route mail worth a damn?
>
> :-) Joseph you make it too easy.
>
> You never did tell us why you can't arrange a proper smarthost,
> such as a debian.org machine with an ssh tunnel.

Just tested that. ssh to master, telnet to localhost smtp, it was quite
willing to relay mail with a non-local envelope. (And left enough clues in
the header to track who did that just in case it ever becomes necessary.)

Now if someone was to send much mail that way, I expect checking with the
admins in advance might be a good idea, but for low volume (and for
contents where the association with Debian in the mail headers won't be a
problem) this seems like an easy way to do it.

For automated usage, I expect one would prefer something like netcat to
telnet, though :-)

MfG Kai