Re: What do you wish for in an package manager

Jeffry Smith <jsmith@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> download the source, have my machine do the compile, but still have
> all the dependencies properly worked out (sort of an expanded apt-get
> -b source).

I guess you should get both the ordinary depends and the
build-depends. I fail to see where there should be problems. It's "just"
a depency-check.

Ohhh, depencies is placed in debian/control and most of the times it is
decided on compile time which packages to depend on. That could be a
problem if you only want one download phase.

Is there examples of packages where build-depends is available but the
newly build package is not instalable on the system? (And should this
could happen)