Re: What do you wish for in an package manager?

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 11:44:13AM -0500, Adam Lazur wrote:
> Dwayne C . Litzenberger (dlitz@dlitz.net) said:
> > So my question is: What do you wish for in a package manager?
>
> Relocatable packages so a user can do an individual package install into ~
> without being r00t (this may be possible now with some dpkg foo?).
>
> The ability to install more than one version of a package simultaneously.

Hmm.  That could bring about some problems.  It would require a large
re-structuring of the filesystem hierarchy.  Why would you need this; how
important is this to you?

> Some intelligence for handling multiple machines. Like the ability to nfs
> mount /usr and have the package manager understand what's going on.

What do you mean?  As it stands, I can mount /usr and /var over NFS and things
will work fine.

> Oh, and a postinstall that'll do not only a diff on conf files that have
> changed, but allow for a merge as well...

Sounds like fun.  I suppose it could be made to work to some extent.

> .adam

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@dlitz.net

- Please always Cc to me when replying to me on the lists.
- See the mail headers for GPG/advertising/homepage information.