Re: Close list

Quoting Carl B. Constantine (carl@os-s.com):
> > <flame war> Now maybe if we were using the RBL, DUL, and RSS lists...
> > :-) </flame war>
> >
> disallow spammers
> allow posts from outside those subscribed
We already allow spammers:

The Debian Linux mailing lists accept commercial advertising for payment.
We offer a fee waiver if you can show us the canceled check for a $1000
(U.S.) or more donation to "Software in the Public Interest" (SPI). One
donation per advertisement, please. If you don't wish to donate, simply post
your advertisement to the list, and the operator of the mailing lists will
bill you $1999 (U.S). The list operator will donate this amount, minus the
expense of collecting it, to SPI.

As someone in an earlier thread 'challenged' me, i wouldn't mind taking care
of this for the Debian mailing lists i'm on. I am not a listmaster, so I
don't know if i'm allowed to do the billing 'n' stuff.
I still think it's a better idea to 'filter' the spam by a closed list, and
a couple of people who moderate off-the-list messages, but according to the
amount of commentary i recieved back on that, people seem to disagree with
it :)
Is it a good idea if i do this ? Can i do this ? Can i do this while not
being in the US (as most spammers seem to be from the US) ? What do we do
with non-paying spammers ?

Greets,
	Robert

--
|      rvdm@cistron.nl - Cistron Internet Services - www.cistron.nl        |
|          php3/c/perl/html/c++/sed/awk/linux/sql/cgi/security             |