Re: Boost Windows Reliability!!!!!

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 02:21:46AM +0100, Robert van der Meulen wrote:
> Quoting Ben Collins (bcollins@debian.org):
> > BTW, I'm on a 28.8, and I get over 1000 emails a day from all the lists I
> > am sub'd to. So I do see a lot of spam, even beyond Debian's lists. If I
> > can ignore it, so can everyone else, IMNHO.
> Ignoring spam has made the internet the spam-ridden place it is right now.
> As long as people do not do anything about it, spam will be as commonplace
> and as 'ignorable' as spam by snailmail.
> I do not like that, and lots of people don't. Apart from the annoyances,
> spammers almost regularly clobber up mailservers, network links, and
> are being _very_ intrusive.
> Spam is not an ignorable problem, and every spam-account i can manage to get
> killed, will get killed.
> If your opinion is that we shouldn't actively try to bring down the spam to
> a minimum, and just delete it - that's your opinion, but definately not
> mine, and not a lot of others' too ;)

My opinion is that trying to block spam is a losing battle. Trying to
attack it at it's roots by closing open relays, filing suit on people
breaking the law, etc..is the right thing.

It's like arresting drug users, as opposed to arresting the drug
smugglers. You should kill the root, not the offspring.

Ben