Re: x-session-manager alternative

Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 07:22:18PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > You say the x-session-manager alternative can be put in manual mode, but
> > it's still going to point somewhere, and X is still going to use what it
> > points too.
>
> Maybe there could be a "session-manager" that just invokes the default
> window manager? Include it with xserver-common or something, and make it
> lower priority than the gnome/kde session managers?

That would be a solution I could live with. (Although on several levels
it's a gross hack.)

I still worry about this x-session-manager thing. It almost feels like
we are agreeging with the BS spread by KDE and Gnome about "desktop
environments" and all that, instead of good old-fashioned X servers,
session managers, window managers, and X clients. Of course, I know
we're really not -- Branden is just recognizing that a session manager
!= a window manager, and is providing infrastructure to reflect that.
Then kde/gnome's "desktop environment" perversion is tainting that.
But the end result is that debian is going to contine to promote the
impression that "desktop environments" are real entities if we do this.
<sigh>

--
see shy jo