Re: linking with static library when using libtool, also c-client weirdness

Petr Cech (cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz) wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 10:04:24AM +0100 , T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:
> > Nazdar Petre,
> >
> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Petr Cech wrote:
> >
> > > P.S. this seems like a bug in c-client, as it doesn't work correctly as a
> > > shared lib
> >
> > Just to let you know, I'm linking the package "mailsync" here against:
>
> yes. php4-imap works, but when there is also ldap module loaded, it crashed.
> see #79978 (not #77978 grr)

I think this is the same bug I'm seeing with apache+php+ldap, bug number
#77170 against libc6, which I mentioned recently on this list here:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0012/msg00809.html>.  Basically,
certain combinations of dynamically loaded libraries cause a crash when
unloaded again.

Although bug #77170 was closed with the 2.2-6 release of libc6, I
believe that was a mistake, and Ben Collins is still looking into it (I
think).

I've also discussed this with Ulrich Drepper, and he can't help tracking
this down and fixing it until we find a suitably small test case.  If
you have any experience with glibc hacking and want to help with this,
please let me know.

Tim.
--
Tim Bell - bhat@trinity.unimelb.edu.au - System Administrator & Programmer
    Trinity College, Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria, 3052, Australia