Grand Marnier Souffle

From: arielle@taronga.com (Stephanie da Silva)

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 06:46:44 GMT

1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
5 eggs, separated
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup Grand Marnier

Grease a 2 quart souffle dish lightly and sprinkle it with sugar.  Cut a
strip of wax paper or foil about 30 inches long and 6 inches wide -- long
enough to overlap itself by at least 2 inches when wrapped around the dish.
Fold it in half lengthwise, then grease one side with butter and sprinkle
with sugar.  Tie the paper as a collar around the souffle dish, sugared
side in, so that it extends at least 2 inches above the dish.  Secure the
ends of collar with paper clips or straight pins.

Melt butter over low heat in saucepan -- don't let it brown.  Remove from
heat, add flour and salt and mix until smooth.  Add the milk, a little at
a time, stirring constantly.  Return to heat, stirring constantly, until
thickened and smooth.  This is best done with a wire whisk.  Remove from
heat.  Separate the eggs.  Set egg whites aside.  Beat the 5 egg yolks
until thick.  Add hot cream sauce, a small amount at a time, beating
constantly until all the sauce has been added and mixture is a creamy
custard.  Set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Beat all eight egg whites until soft peaks form
when the beater is lifted gently.  Add sugar gradually, beating constantly
until a stiff meringue is formed.  Gradually beat in lemon juice, a few
drops at a time.  Stir the lemon rind and Grand Marnier into the egg
mixture, stirring well.  Add all at once to egg whites, folding thoroughly
using quick, light strokes.  Pour into the souffle dish and set dish in a
pan containing one inch of hot water.  Bake for one hour.  Remove from oven
and carefully remove paper collar.  Serve at once, dishing it out with a
large spoon.
	manoj
--
 I am getting into abstract painting.  Real abstract -- no brush, no
 canvas, I just think about it.  I just went to an art museum where