RE: State of the Woody

> > I think our priorities for woody's release are:
> >
> > 	* a functional, tested install method
I don't know anything about the plans for the new install method but I think
that at the beginning of the install, the user should be able to make a
choice
between using Expert install and Newbie Install.
the Newbie install would react just as MDK does, and the expert one would
be the normal Debian way of installing a distribution :)
As a result, debian would not be flammed of being a distro that's hard to
install. That's not fair but (newbie) magazins's reviews only speak about
the install and never think about maintaining / updating an
already-installed
distribution.

> > 	* a functional, tested, documented upgrade method

BTW, I think there is an importand problem about upgrading :
Usually, at each upgrade, there are big problems concerning X for example.
Users have to know which packages to add, which one to keep ...
As a result, I think we should add a package (or, if you know
another better way to do it), that would depend/conflict with
other packages, in order to tell the one who upgrades which pacakges
to add, and which packages to remove.
This package (which could be debian-release, for example) could also
contain scripts that would correct some known problems due to the upgrade.
I don't have any example, but looking at the lists archive when potato was
released / or even frozen will give many.

> > 	* a usable, tested system

That shouldn't be a goal, but just something that every developpers keeps
in mind :)

Sam