Re: Packages files references packages in pool instead of binary-... location

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:08:33PM +0100 , Otto Wyss wrote:
> Since the introducion of the pool (first in non-US, now in mainstream)
> the Packages files addresses the files in the pool instead of the link
> in the binary-... directories. This makes it impossible to use dselect
> and possibly some other packages frontend as well. Of course any file as

why? example?

> to be at the new location as well.
>
> While a pool structur is usful for directly downloding files or building
> distributions, it is not for the distribution itself. Especially if
> distributed on CD's the current binary-... structur is much better. And
> Packages files are an integral part of distributions.

you're wellcome to fix debian-cd to do this. I agree that it would be nice to
have it on the CD as it was

> Anyway I hope the symlinks/hardlinks in the binary-... directories are
> still there, so I get a change to build my own Packages file.

only in potato, not in woody they aren't and won't be, from what I've
understood

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

<_Anarchy_> telsa: rommable debian will be potato chips