Re: lvm - I'll maintain it. - ITP lvm24

On 2000-12-13 12:08, Russell Coker wrote:
>OK.  I'll create a new package named lvm24 which conflicts with lvm and
>provides lvm.

Here are my latest plans for LVM packaging:

Have packages lvm081, lvm09, etc providing lvm which don't conflict with each
other.  They will install files in /sbin/lvm081, /lib/lvm081, /sbin/lvm09 and
/lib/lvm09 directories.
At boot time a script in a package lvm-common (which all other lvm* packages
will depend on) will check the lvm version in the kernel and create sym-links
from /lib and /sbin to the appropriate directories that match the version.

It's a bit ugly but it seems to be the only way to do it.  The reason it has
to be like this is because there are several incompatible versions of LVM in
use which have the same disk format.  So users will want to upgrade their
kernel and not have LVM break.  This means that both versions of the files
have to be on the system at the same time to allow upgrading and downgrading
of kernels.

Please let me know what you think about this idea.  It's a hack but it'll
work.