Re: NetBSD pkgsrc function

> > > package. The makefiles obtain the original source off the net,
> >
> > Which is a big pain with FreeBSD: very often, the upstream souce moved or
> > changed its name and the download no longer works. Debian is a closure: when
> > the distribution is shipped, you can be sure to be able to retrieve everything
> > you need to compile from every Debian mirror. Costly in diskspace, but very
> > convenient.
>
> I agree. I don't think the ports system is anywhere near as good as ours.

Well, I have never used FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD, but one
possible advantage of port system seems it can distribute
some applications which is prihibited from binary distribution
by their licenses.

For example, gs-aladdin can not be distributed with GPL'ed printer
drivers in Debian but port can do it.

So it might be not so bad to introduce port-like system into Debian.

Regards,		       2000.12.8

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>