Re: cleaning up our task packages

* John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> [001207 18:14]:
> > distributions is the right one.  Uncle Debian in his wisdom makes the
> > choice for him and takes care of the details.
> Fuck Uncle Debian and the horse he rode in on if that's the case.

Now John, I consider myself fairly competent; however, with three dhcp
clients to choose from (an actual situation from many months ago) many
folks won't know which one is *best*, as defined by ``works on the
kernel as shipped''. How are end users, installing their first Debian
box, supposed to know that bozo-dhcpcd hasn't been supported for many
months (but is still in the distribution) but bozo-dhclient-clown is
known to work on the kernel shipped by Debian, is well-supported, and
runs easily.

Neither package description will mention the issues.

*THIS* is where the task- system will help new users -- competent or
not. It allows Debian to help people choose, when they don't know what
is best -- not when they are too stupid to know what is best.

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all
really impressed down here, I can tell you.''