Re: ITP: openafs-krb5, openafs-ptutil - packages needed for openafs to be useful

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 04:32:48PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Daniel> Is this disableable in the openafs packages, or at least,
>     Daniel> does it scream loudly?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  The openafs packages as I ship them never
> use noauth mode; they use pt_util instead.  An administrator can
> restart bosserver with the noauth flag.  If they do so, their server
> will accept unauthenticated requests until it next restarts.
>
> What are you actually worried about?  Someone breaking in and leaving
> bosserver set to noauth as a back door, or someone configuring a
> system incorrectly?

The latter.  Thanks.  I'm not familiar with setting up cells.

Would it be possible/reasonable to have a warning when noauth is used?
Is it sufficiently documented as a security problem of this degree?
That's all that I'm worried about.

Dan