Re: Conffile

[followups to -mentors]

stramiello writes:

> I've got a template that I install using the standard -f test, so it
> only gets placed there if one doesn't exist.

During the build process, or during package installation? You don't want
to do the latter. This:

> dpkg-deb: conffile `/etc/ftppasswd' does not appear in package

seems to imply that the conffile is created by a package-installation
script. This means you're second-guessing dpkg. Simply include the
template in the .deb and mark it; dpkg will install the template if no
/etc/ftppasswd exists, and in later upgrades it will only bother the
user (by asking what do do with the conffile) if you edit the template.

Or maybe you're doing something else entirely... being specific always
helps. ;-)

--
things change.
decklin@red-bean.com