Re: task & skills

Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Dec 05, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> > * Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org) [001205 23:32]:
> > > We vote when we cannot agree on something through regular discussion.
> > > Since the votes still happen infrequently, you might conclude that most
> > > progress is being made through regular discussion. So wanting to join
> > > debian to be able to vote is worthless; if we get to the point of
> > > needing a vote, the process has already broken down and your input is
> > > not going to be particularly useful.
> >
> > With this reasoning I understand the election results in the US. Thank you.
>
> I believe Joey's point is that 99.9% of the things that get done are
> done by consensus (or at least acquiesence to existing policy).
> Ideally, we should vote exactly once a year: for DPL.

Yeah, I didn't have to realize I would have to spell such a basic
underpinning of the debian project out to someone on debian-devel. I had
been dismissing BenC's arguments, but if we have people who want to join
the project only to vote, and who do not even realize that we do things
by consensus, I am very worried about where this project is going.

--
see shy jo