Re: Offline mail reader for several lists

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 05:31:55PM +0100, Nils Rennebarth wrote:

> But as phone lines ar expensive here, instead of spending an hour of
> online mail reading, I would like to connect, download new mails,
> disconnect, read and delete most of them, then connect again and write back
> eventual changes to the folders.
>
> Is there a piece of software that allows me to do just that? It doesn't
> sound like a very exotic problem so someone else might have wanted a
> solution. Using imap does not count, it won't work offline,
> as it makes a connection to the server for every message to be
> read.

Try fetchmail.

Package: fetchmail
Section: mail
Installed-Size: 785
Maintainer: Paul Haggart <phaggart@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 5.5.3-1
Replaces: popclient
Provides: popclient
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.94)
Conflicts: popclient
Filename: dists/woody/main/binary-i386/mail/fetchmail_5.5.3-1.deb
Size: 362014
MD5sum: 615c8aa2521eaaec08f26e2df0df5d26
 fetchmail is a free, full-featured, robust, and well-documented remote mail
 retrieval and forwarding utility intended to be used over on-demand TCP/IP
 links (such as SLIP or PPP connections).  It retrieves mail from remote mail
 servers and forwards it to your local (client) machine's delivery system, so
 it can then be be read by normal mail user agents such as mutt, elm, pine,
 (x)emacs/gnus, or mailx.  Comes with an interactive GUI configurator suitable
 for end-users.

--
 - mdz