Re: subarchitectures

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 10:04:09AM -0500, Camm Maguire wrote:
> Greetings, and thanks for your reply!
>
> Erik <journey@jps.net> writes:
>
> > --dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 03:06:42PM -0500, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Greetings!  The good news is that in days, we should have some
> > > optimized atlas blas libraries for a variety of recent processors.
> > > The challenge is how to adapt the package -- when built on an Athlon,
> > > PIII, and PII, the resulting binaries will run only on those
> > > subarchitectures, (and much faster!)  I suppose all binaries could be
> > > included in the package, and only the appropriate one installed, but
> > > how does this jive with the automatic build daemons?  Such a package
> > > would have to be partially built on several different machines.  On
> > > the other hand, I could have several different packages, each of which
> > > would build only on a given subarch, and would produce a distinct
> > > package name.  That might not work so well with automated build
> > > daemons either. =20
> > It doesn't actualy need to be built on different machines.  What happens
> > is your configure script auto-detects the processor and optomizes for it.
> > You just need to specificaly tell it what processor to build for and it
> > will ignore the current processor.
> > >=20
>

> The problem here is that the standard atlas compilation procedure both
> compiles *and executes/times* the resulting code on the building
> machine.  It thereby selects the fastest routines for that box.  To my
> knowledge, there is as yet no 'cross-compilation' capability in atlas,
> although I'm clarifying this with the author.  Under the assumption
> that the compiled code must be run and timed on the compilation
> machine, what is the best way to handle this situation?
>
> Thanks!
What this sounds like is maybee you should take all the different
things it compiles, and put them in the package.  Then upon install
basicaly run their timing stuff to choose one.  I dont know how involved
atlas is in testing these things though, and if it optomizes based on what
it finds, or just has several pre-optomized compile flag sets.  I guess
you'll need the author, or some time to dig through the compile scripts for
that one.

> --
> Camm Maguire			     			camm@enhanced.com
> "The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."  --  Baha'u'llah

Erik Bernhardson
journey@jps.net
--
It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool, than to speak and
remove all doubt.