Re: Our Most Precious Resource: Programmer Time (was Re: long term goals)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> > There also seems to be an increase in lower skilled people - this is
> > important becauase you just can't expect stunning efficiency out of
> > inexperiancied people.
>
> Of course not.  That's why I'm not discussing the inexperienced.  I'm
> discussing how to make the experienced more productive in less time.

If you make the experianced folk more productive and at the same time
reduce the productivity of the inexperianced helpers, does it still net
out to a gain?

In my case, it is hard to find people who want to work on projects like
APT - the #1 comment is that potential helpers categorically do not like
C++. Since APT is also a library it is equally hard to find people to
actually write client code for it. If I had a little team of C helpers,
would the project's productivity be higher? I cannot say for sure.

> Messy projects are bad.  But labor-intensive, memory-leaking,
> stack-overflowing programs are much, much worse.

Messy projects in C++ also tend to be labour-intense, memory-leaky, and
such, messy java projects tend to have lots of unexpected exceptions,
wastes ram, slow, etc - I can't comment on what the downsides are in other
languages - but I think in general the two things can be related.

Jason