Re: ITP plex86, if it complies to DFSG

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:

>   Plex86 is an Open Source x86 PC virtualization program which let's you
>   concurrently run multiple x86 operating systems and corresponding
>   software on your x86 machine.  It is distributed under the GNU LGPL
>   license.
>
> They haven't done any realease yet, but cvs compiles clean and runs quite
> well also, well, don't expect it to run too much, I mean, on my P200MMX it
> kind of walks ;-)

Heh. On my dual P200MMX it reboots. :/
I'm guessing it doesn't handle SMP yet?

> I really Intended to Package it, if nobody has already ITP it, but looking
> at the license of the VGA BIOS it uses, seems It cannot go in main, and I
> doubt it can go on non-fre either, the license file that comes with that
> BIOS says:
>
> The VGA BIOS from Elpin Systems, Inc. (http://www.elpin.com/)
> is now permanently licensed for use with plex86, courtesy
> of MandrakeSoft, creators of the leading "Linux-Mandrake"
> distribution (http://www.linux-mandrake.com/).  You may
> freely use/distribute it with plex86, as long as it is used
> in plex86 for the intended use as a VGA BIOS.

I think the VGA BIOS would probably have to go in non-free....

I'd have a better answer for you..but my Woody machine just made a mess on
its superblocks. I'm going to have to reinstall the blasted thing.
Fortunately I the partition I keep my project stuff on was otherwise
unscathed.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure the VGA BIOS will fail DFSG. What does the license
on it say about modification? If it doesn't say we can modify the BIOS
then it'll fail.