Fwd: Re: Debian New Maintainer Status on nm.debian.org

Forwared after approval from Dave Baker.

Subject: Re: Debian New Maintainer Status on nm.debian.org
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 23:14:28 +0100
From: Mariusz Przygodzki <dune@home.pl>
To: Dave Baker <dave@dsb3.com>

On Friday 01 December 2000 22:37, Dave Baker wrote:
> Mathematically this follows logically.  A few large values are taken out
> of the set, a large number of small values are added and the average WILL
> go down...

Thank you very much for your example. I was hoping somebody can confirm my
suppositions. You have just explained in a clear (and math) manner why this
is a not democratic process.

> e.g.   2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 10, 10, 10 .... average 5

max. difference = 8
min. days = 2; max. days = 10

> now.   1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 10 .... average 2.7

max. difference = 9
min. days = 1; max. days = 10

> Anyway, the queue goes a lot faster than you think it will ...

Anyway, this is not a problem "how faster", but "what rules describe it and
are the same for all applicants". And this is not a math problem
unfortunately.

Regards,
Mariusz

P.S. Could I send your excellent clarification with my above comments to
debian-devel? I'll appreciated your approval for it. I don't know why you
have sent reply to me only.

--
Mariusz Przygodzki        |  Good judgement comes from experience.
dune@home.pl              |  Experience comes from bad judgement.