Re: unmet dependencies after installing glibc2.2.

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 02:22:47PM +0000, Michael Meding wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> > Debian doesn't strictly support mixing versions of the distribution as
> > far as I know, though the dependencies are usually such that it isn't a
> > problem. Sometimes it's possible to temporarily change your sources.list
> > to point at woody, update, 'apt-get install packagename', point your
> > sources.list back at potato, and update again. Whether this is a good
> > idea for libc6 I think I'll leave to experimentation.
> >
> > --
> > Colin Watson                                     [cjw44@flatline.org.uk]
>
> seems like apt-get source --compile libstdc++2.10-dev is grabbing
> gcc-2.95.2-18. So after a compile it should
> come out to the needed libs ?

No, most likely you will break something. Change your sources.list lines
to point to woody (temporarily) and do:

apt-get install libstdc++2.10-dev g++ libc6-dev

That should fix things, and then you can change it back to potato. I hope
you know that binary compatibility with glibc2.2 only works one way. IOW,
if you compile something with this new glibc2.2 installed, it wont run on
a stock potato system with glibc 2.1.3.