Re: Proposal for a new package relationship option

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 01:15:08AM +0200, Gil Bahat wrote:
> I believe there is a need for a new package relationship option
> that is to conflicts as recommends is to depends, and i offer the name
> "discourages".
>
> Rationale:
> discouragements will find their place in a lot of task packages,
> specifically the task-secure package discussed in debian-devel earlier.

This seems a very poor solution to the problem of insecure programs. People
installing test-secure are already security conscious, so are hardly likely
to need nagging about rsh and friends. I would think that a warning in
the package description, which is then visible to *all* users, would be
far more appropriate.

What other task packages are going to use this? Is task-gnome going to
Discourage: libqt2 ? task-x-window-system to Discourage: console apps?
It all seems a bit pointless to me, people will install what they want and
not what they don't.

> also, it can fit nicely where you might want to test another package
> that would claim the same resources as an installed one, without
> removing the first one (like a new webserver or mailer), or actually
> use two together (do people do that?)

Unlikely to be practical. Feel free to get webserver packages that coexist
nicely and prove me wrong - you don't need the new tag to do that. It's
an awkward special case, because there are good (non-testing) reasons for
having multiple web servers (different servers for http and https is not
uncommon), but it's not easy to accommodate.

--
Colin Phipps                            http://www.netcraft.com/