Re: libc6-dev and /usr/include/asm

On Fri 24 Nov 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Cc: Paul Slootman <paul@murphy.nl>

Please don't cc me on mailing list messages, the duplicate gets junked
anyway here so it's a waste of resources. I mean, if I'm going to read a
reply to something I wrote in a mailing list, I want to read the replies
there as well, so that I can refer to the context of the thread if
necessary (I don't have all those threads in my personal inbox of course!)

> Previously Paul Slootman wrote:
> > What I'm wondering is why some program source explicitly needs
> > /usr/include/asm/stat.h. I think the official interface is <sys/stat.h>,
> > ie. /usr/include/sys/stat.h.  It looks like the program was badly
> > written?
>
> Maybe you haven't looked inside headerfiles, but some of the headers
> files include asm/* headerfiles themselves:

Yes, but:
- the original message made it look like the asm/ headers were being
  included directly:
  > of a program that needed some kernel header includes like stat.h

- if libc6-dev doesn't have /usr/include/asm anymore, I would assume
  that the /usr/include/sys/ headers would not try to reference asm/
  anymore, hence making the point above more likely.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/