common locale configuration

Hi,

I thought about the existing chaos in the configuration of the varios
locale setting of all the Debian packages, and considered to developed
something like an common configuration base for the locale settings.

-- realisation --
Fronend:
This would be a database (ASCII, editable, or binary with an
config-tool), which would contain at least the following settings:

use systemwide configuration: yes/no

Current setup:
apply systemwide configuration on X11: yes/no
apply systemwide configuration on Console: yes/no
Current country: ... (needed also the papper format and so)
Current language: ...
Keyboard map + variant: ...
Clock settings: bios-uses-gmt? (yes/no)

Preparated locale settings:
- same as above, other localisation schemes may be defined here. So,
  the needed locales would be generated (see locale.gen)

Backend:
a script (let's call it locale-changer) would create include files for
the shells (e.g. /etc/environment for the bash), change console fonts
if needed, change keyboard map on console and in X11 and so one.
Packages which need special configuration for locale settings, could use
the database to configure for the right language while the installation.
Additionaly, new packages could install their own configuration
sub-scripts, which would be executed by locale-changer.
----

The locale settings may be configured during the first Debian
installation (I could imagine a nice Text- or Gtk-frontend) or later.

So, this are my first ideas, I would like to see some comments,
improvements, alternative suggestions etc.

Gr{us,eeting}s,
Eduard.
Eduard Bloch <eb@zombie.inka.de>; HP: http://eduard.bloch.com/edecosi
0xEDF008C5(GnuPG): E6EB 98E2 B885 8FF0 6C04  5C1D E106 481E EDF0 08C5