Re: non-US now using package pools

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 10:23:31AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > stable:
> > >    <put this into sources.list to get stable distribution>
> > Apt is not affected by this change.
> Errr, huh.  That doesn't make the thing more clear for me at all.
> HOW, can I get packages from a certain pool.  If not apt what else?
> Is there anything to read what I have to do now non-US has package
> pools?

The apt line with the package pool is the same as that without, ie
something like:

deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main

If you actually look at the Packages file generated, you'll see that the
Filename: line is changed from something like:

Filename: dists/potato/non-US/main/binary-i386/zip-crypt_2.30-1.deb

to something like:

Filename: pool/non-US/main/w/w3m-ssl/w3m-ssl_0.1.10+0.1.11pre+kokb20-1_i386.deb

Along with similar changes in the Sources file, this is enough to tell
apt where to get the .deb from, without you having to actually do anything
at all.

Note that "woody" and "potato" are not separate pools at all, debs from
both are all gathered into the pool/ directory.

At the moment the testing distribution isn't hooked into the package
pool at all, so there's no way to get at it. Potato and woody (and sid)
can be gotten at the same way as always for most purposes. For special
purposes, you might have to do something like Joey's partial mirroring
script earlier in this thread.

HTH.

Cheers,
aj