XDM authorization key matches an existing client!

*sigh* the latest X upgrade is causing me a lot of grief... when I try to
start aXe, it seems to work fine; but when I open a new editor window, it
segfaults.

Since the editor window is actually implemented by a separate executable,
I attempted to run that executable directly (it's supposed to work --
normally you don't do it 'cos the other "main" executable lets you open
multiple edit windows), and then I got this strange error message:

Xlib: XDM authorization key matches an existing client!
Error: Can't open display: :0.0

What does this message mean??? Anybody familiar with X programming can
help me out here?

<rant>
Ever since I upgraded to X 4.0.1, aXe has been giving me endless grief...
first it was an Xaw problem, and then a compile problem, and then the
reversed input field in the load/save window (which I still haven't solved
yet) and now this... This *is* the straw that breaks the camel's back,
since I normally use aXe to edit files, and I honestly loathe learning
another editor (besides pico, and pico sucks). Well anyway... I guess
that's the price of living off unstable :-P  But since I'm the maintainer
of aXe, I have to deal with this somehow... I guess I hope I'll learn a
lot more about X programming through all this frustration.
</rant>

Roasting my brains over a slow fire. Please do not interrupt this process.