Re: Use $DEB_BUILD_DIR rather than parent directory?

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> writes:

> Previously Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> > So the person who wrote debian/rules has the final word? Over my
> > own preferences? You've got to be kidding me.
>
> I'm not kidding. I refuse to maintain a tool (especially a package
> manager) that tries to second guess what its commandline tells it
> to do.

And this is the correct behavior.  No program should allow environment
variables to override command line switches.  This is an important
consistency of the interface of commands for GNU, and it should not be
abandoned.  Indeed, the problem originally noted is real, but changing
dpkg to invert the normal priority is totally wrong.

Thomas