Re: Use $DEB_BUILD_DIR rather than parent directory?

* Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org) [001123 08:31]:
> jpenny@universal-fasteners.com wrote:
> > In fact, I think a good case can be made for dpkg/apt not honoring
> > environment variables at all (maybe LD_LIBRARY_PATH is an exception).
> > YMMV.
>
> Please explain how, if you manage to get my shell to set an environement
> variable, you could not have just done whatver setting the environement
> variable eventually makes some program do?

I do not understand this sentence.

> (It would also be nice if you explained how environement variables can
> be hidden.)

There was a diskussion on security-audit about this. The point is that it is
possible to have environment variables defined several times and that it is
unclear which one will be used. Only one value is shown, and the other ones
are hidden (from view). That is why it would be good practice to
clear the environment completly, or do strict checks on the variables.

However, LD_LIBRARY_PATH was one of the critical variables, because it was
possible to undermine the linking process and dynamicly link against malicious
libs. This is one of the variables to be careful about