Re: netatalk refuses to start with ethernet aliasing

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 05:39:38PM -0600, Jeffrey Hundstad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using Debian Potato with linux-2.2.18pre22.  This version of Potato
> uses netatalk (1.4b2+asun2.1.3).
> My current work around is:
>
> 1. start the interfaces:
> lo
> eth0
>
> 2. start netatalk
>
> 3. create my eth0 aliases.
>
> This works fine... but is a little strange.
  Have you concidered using the ip command from the iproute package to do
you aliases?  ip doesn't rely of the "magic" interfaces kernel hack as ifconfig
appears to.(IE, I havn't figured out how to get ifconfig to behave
"properly")
  By properly I mean multiple IPs on one interface(like it really is).
  For example:
    ip add 192.168.1.1/24 dev eth0
    ip add 10.1.1.1/8 dev eth0

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
"The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
results in slower code, and it results in more bugs."