Re: autobuilding and embedded timestamps

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 09:18:56AM +0000, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> I like to make the system compile itself until it converges, that is,
> the newly compiled system is identical to the installed system. It's
> surprising how many cycles it takes it to converge in some cases; I
> think there are some subtle mutual dependencies between gcc and glibc.

I'm amazed it works at all.  I have memories of timestamps cropping up
in the oddest places...

> Do Debian's autobuilders compile repeatedly until the system
> converges? If so, how do they detect convergence?

Heck no.  Nothing gets built more than once.  It causes all sorts of
problems, but convergence is essentially impossible - we're building
ALL of the debian archive, remember?  We can't pick and choose 20
packages; we have to deal with 4000 instead.

> Finally, might it be a good idea to get rid of embedded timestamps, so
> that the same source doesn't give a different binary each time it is
> compiled? The build script for a package could replace the embedded
> timestamps by the date of the newest source file, for example.

Perhaps dpkg-deb could do this, but I'd see it as a feature rather than
a bug - shows you when the package was built...

Dan