Re: IMPORTANT: dpkg and libc5 compatability libraries

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 08:37:44AM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> Many of you probably know about the bug in dpkg 1.7.x that causes
> problems when Libc5 development packages are installed. I have been
> trying to combat this problem. At first I thought it would only be an
> issue for developers that had weird setups with libc5 applications, but
> a lot of packages exhibiting this bug have been pouring in, even as I
> submit bugs on them. If this spreads it will be harder to fight.
>
> Before building any packages, please do one of the following as a
> temporary solution until the bug is fixed.
> * Remove libc5 and all packages depending on it
> or
> * Downgrade dpkg to a pre-1.7 version.
>
> If you don't, the packages you build are likely to have extraneous
> dependencies on libc5 compatability libraries.

Could you clarify the problem?  Does the bug only come up when you're
compiling against libc5-dev, or when libc5 itself is merely installed?  If
it's the former then there is a third temporary solution: recompile against
libc6.

My apologies if I misunderstood the problem.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A