lintian doesn't like icons in png format [was Re: icon.png => debian/ ?]

On Sunday 19 November 2000 23:27, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 11:18:35PM +0100, Mariusz Przygodzki wrote:
> > Upstream sources have no icon for some application.
> > How I can add an icon to debian/ in other format than xpm ?
> > When I try to do it with icon.png I receive message:
> >
> > dpkg-source: cannot represent change to debian/icon.png: binary file
> > contents changed
> >
> > The above message is very logical but I am still trying to find some
> > workaround and I don't want to change *.orig.tar.gz.
> >
> > Any suggestion?
>
> Try encoding the binary file with uuencode, shar or a similar tool, and
> decoding it in debian/rules.  Don't forget to Build-Depend on sharutils (or
> whatever) if you do this.

Lintian sings:

  W: kups: menu-icon-not-in-xpm-format
/usr/share/icons/locolor/32x32/apps/kupsdconf.png

  Icons in the Debian menu system should be in icon format.

  Refer to menu 3. for details.

So it means icons in png format are not allowed ?!
BTW, where's "menu 3" (in the Debian Policy Manual or in the Debian Menu
sub-policy) with information about an icon format.

--
Mariusz Przygodzki        |  Good judgement comes from experience.
dune@home.pl              |  Experience comes from bad judgement.