Re: Installed pngcrush 1.5.1-3 (source i386)

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 07:02:31PM +0100, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> > Sorry, on a potato:
> >
> > # apt-get -s remove libpng2
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >   abiword afterstep axis-ipsc chameleon cricket cslatex csplain
> >   cspsfonts dfm disc-cover eterm gdk-imlib-dev gdk-imlib1 ghostview gimp
> >   gnome-bin gnome-core gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnuplot gs gtop
> >   html2ps htmldoc icewm-gnome imagemagick imgsizer imlib-progs imlib1
> >   irssi jadetex libgd1g libgd1g-dev libgnome-dev libgnome32
> >   libgnomesupport0 libgnomeui32 libgnorba-dev libgnorba27 libgnorbagtk0
> >   libmagick4g libpng2 libpng2-dev librrd0 librrds-perl libwraster1
> >   perlmagick seahorse tetex-bin tetex-extra wmaker wmakerconf
> >   wmheadlines xchat xli xplanet
> >

> > I think I'll stay with the statically linked thing for now.
>
> What has this to do with it? Sorry, if I misunderstand anything, but what
> does it have to do if you remove libpng2 and dynmically linking against it?
> I think it should be dynamically linked if somehow possible.

Sorry for being so vague. The original problem was:

  cc -O2 -Wall   -c -o pngcrush.o pngcrush.c
  pngcrush.c: In function `png_set_compression_buffer_size':
  pngcrush.c:626: warning: passing arg 1 of `png_error' from
                           incompatible pointer type
  pngcrush.c:626: too few arguments to function `png_error'
  pngcrush.c: In function `png_measure_idat':
  pngcrush.c:3978: `png_iCCP' undeclared (first use in this function)

I consider it to be a risky business to "upgrade" libpng2 to 1.0.8,
given the fact that so many other packages dynamically link to it but,
of course, I might be wrong about that (and it wouldn't be the only
thing I'm wrong about). Am I just acting cowerdly?

> Roland
>
> PS: Try apt-get -s remove libc6; we are dynamically linking against it
> tough ;)

That's an interesting thought :)

Cristian