esound and kernel 2.4

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 03:53:28PM -0600, Tad Thurston wrote:

> Success!  I used a trial version of the commercial OSS sound drivers.  I
> guess the ones in the kernel are very alpha.  So now that I can play
> music from the console and can hear Gnome sound effects, I forgot how to
> make it so I can play music with Gnome.  When firing up xmms, for
> example, it tells me that it cannot open the sound device (/dev/dsp).

If you were using kernel 2.2, then for a gnome desktop you would set the
xmms output plugin to "esd", and everything would be dandy.

This is, however, a problem with kernel 2.4.  You may have seen my post to
debian-devel this morning.

Esound doesn't work correctly with kernel 2.4 because the esd/kernel
interaction is somehow broken.  You can try it, but you will probably hear
strange artifacts.

One workaround for xmms is that if your card supports /dev/dsp1, like my
es1371 does, then you can keep the xmms output plugin set to OSS, but
change the settings so that it connects to /dev/dsp1.  This won't work for
most cards, though.  Another workaround for xmms is, reportedly (though I
haven't tried it), to configure xmms to emit 22-kHz sound data.

A more general workaround is to switch from gnome to kde.  kde's sound
daemon is called "arts", and it doesn't care what kernel you use; it just
works.  Also, there is an arts output plugin for xmms; just grab it with
dselect.  Actually, I'm running kde right now at work.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan <thomas.vaughan@nssl.noaa.gov>
CIMMS/NSSL, Norman, OK, USA