Re: Lists of packages with bugs

Philip Brown wrote :

> > > Debian doesnt run those things, therefore, Debian is not even
> > > CONSIDERED at those sites.
> >
> > What do you mean, Debian "does not run" those things?
>
> I mean "doesn't run".
>
> I gave the URL in my previous email. Here it is again:
>
> http://www.iplanet.com/downloads/download/detail_8_398.html
>
> Why dont you see if you can get netscape directory server runs on
> your debian box. I sure can't.

Actually, it's not /that/ hard.  The setup program just relies on an
old version of termcap (the server itself works fine), you just have

apt-get source termcap-compat

Recompile it with libc6 (you'll need to twiddle one or two things in
the debian/ subdirectory, I forget which, but it's really not that
difficult), install it, and you'll find the setup program works fine.

Netscape aren't wonderful at keeping up with technology.  When I had
to work with their server products (up until 18 months ago) they were
still building their Digital Unix products in "32-bit compatibility
mode", which meant you couldn't actually link anything with their LDAP
C libraries.  Somehow they didn't seem to recognize this as a problem
worth fixing...

Enjoy,
 Cos (who read this solution either here, or on a local LUG mailing
 list, I forget which)
--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> fighting to be real