Re: apt-listchanges, dpkg-preconfigure ordering in apt.conf

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 06:47:31PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:

> Looks like the ordering of the calls to dpkg-preconfigure and
> apt-listchanges in apt.conf are essentially random -- I think people
> will normally want to see the changelogs before they preconfigure, so we
> should come up with some way to cooperate so it always comes before the
> dpkg-preconfigure lines. What do you think?

Personally, I think I'd like to see an /etc/apt/pre-install-pkgs.d.  That is
how this problem is solved in other parts of the system (cf.
/etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.d, /etc/rc[0-6].d).  Assuming there will always be a One
True Ordering for these hooks, this follows the principle of least surprise and
gives the user a familiar interface to see what is going on.  If the user wants
to change the order, this doesn't work as well.

--
 - mdz