Re: Filesize of serveral packages does not correspond to the ment ione d size in the Packages file

"Wyss, Otto" <otto.wyss@csam.com> writes:

> > On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 01:14:13PM +0100 , Wyss, Otto wrote:
> > > I have downloaded packages from woody on the last weekend (with rsync) and
> >
> > maybe the mirror, you're getting files from is broken.
> >
> > > now discovered that for several packages there is a size missmatch with the
> > > corresponding sizes in the Packages file. So package "cfengine_1.5.3-6.deb"
> > > has a file size of 257699 while in Packages it's listed as 256756. What's
> > > wrong?
> >
> > I don't know. I have the files matching Packages
> >

> I've downloaded from "ftp.at.debian.org" and checked it with
> "sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch" and "ftp.de.debian.org", all have the same
> files (same problem).

I've just tried two of them, and the files are the right size for me.

I note that the size you mention is very close to the filesize one
gets from running the package through unix2dos.

Is it possible you are downloading with an FTP client in ASCII mode on
a system that thinks that end-of-lines are CRLF (i.e. DOS, windoze, etc.)?

If so, try typing:

  binary

(or ticking the binary file transfer box, if it's GUI based)

before you do the download.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/