soname

Sorry this one stupid library is generating so much traffic, but I
want to get it right, and I'm uncertain about all the decisions I'm
making so by sending mail I hope to get useful advice.  So far it's
worked. ;)

I've given up the idea of using the dumb makefile fragments; on
further investigation, they're just a waste.

The pwlib library gets built as "libpt_linux_x86_r.so.1.1.18", with
symlinks named "libpt_linux_x86_r.so.1.1" and "libpt_linux_x86_r.so.1" and
"libpt_linux_x86_r.so".  The upstream makefiles do not contemplate
this actually getting installed anywhere.  (They are total Windoze
junkies.)

So I want to install this as the obvious libpt.so.1.1.18, with the
normal sorts of symlinks.

The library has an SONAME set to "libpt_linux_x86_r.so.1".  I have
several questions then:

1) I think I should be able to install the library as libpt.so.1.1.18,
and have two symlinks named libpt.so.1 and libpt.so.  There doesn't
seem to be any point to making a link named libpt.so.1.1.  Right?

2) The fact that the SONAME won't have any discernable relation to the
filename won't matter, because ldconfig will make the right thing
happen.  Right?

3) What should the shlibs file look like?  The packaging manual
section 12.1 seems to think that the actual soname is the
concatenation of the "library-name" and the "version-or-soname".  In
this case, it won't be.

I'd be happy, if necessary, to hack the upstream Makefile to generate
a matching non-insane SONAME value of "libpt.so.1", but I'd really
really rather avoid that for all the usual reasons.

Thomas