Re: character codes for terminals

Hi,

At Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:21:44 +0900,
GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp> wrote:

> I suspect why you enforce to use OUTPUT_CHARSET.
> It should be remove.

Ok, I found OUTPUT_CHARSET is no more needed if I want EUC-JP
encoding.  Thank you, I will remove the settings from language-env
package.

I wrote the .bashrc script so that it works only for a few environments
which I often use.  I rarely use kterm in SJIS mode.

> I don't know there are such a nice method.
> BTW, Is it good idea to limit displaying charset?
> I want to use many charset in a same time.

I didn't thought of arbitrary subset of ISO2022, like kterm supports.
(You are talking about 'encoding', not 'character set', by your word
'charset', aren't you?  Information on character set is not useful,
besides arbitrary subset of ISO2022.)

Imagine that kterm in EUC mode sets:
  TERM_ENCODINGS=EUC-JP ISO-2022-JP ISO-2022
  TERM_ISO2022SETS=JISX0208 JISX0201 ISO8859-1  (according to font setting)
Xterm sets:
  TERM_ENCODINGS=ISO8859-1
  TERM_ISO2022SETS=  (empty)
Xterm in UTF-8 mode sets: