Re: Announce: dvgrab, support for digital camcorders

Hi Arne!

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Arne Schirmacher wrote:

> Please forward this mail to the person who is in charge for adding new
> software to your Linux Distribution.
>
> I am the author of two useful programs: dvgrab and kino. Both programs are
> under the GPL.

If nobody else has contacted you so far, I'd be interested in packaging
those two programs for Debian. However, I see two problems. dvgrab needs
libraw1394 to build; libraw1394 however has Debian hooks but isn't
included in Debian so far, meaning the build dependencies are quite
unfortunate. Similar with kino, which depends on libdv. You provide libdv
as a static lib in the source distribution, but this renders the source
i386-only and will make porters to other architectures freak out. The best
solution clearly would be to include both libs into Debian as well. I'll
try to get in touch with the respective authors on that. Anyway, if the
lib issue is resolved, I'd certainly be willing provide .debs for dvgrab
and kino. (ITP to follow...)

Regards,

Daniel.

--