Re: 2.2r1 release problems

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 07:13:21AM -0800 , zbrown@linuxcare.com wrote:
> On my system, dselect shows new version numbers on:
>
> base-passwd
> dpkg

bug fix

> make

upstream bugfix - could misscompile glibc

> mutt

hmm. this was probably unnecessary, but ..

> netscape (etc)

hard to fix without new upstream version :)

> gnupg

bug fix release

> task-x-window-system-core

hey. it's debian specific so it has a greater version. So what?

> pcmcia-cs
>
> and others.

php3 - upstream bugfix
php4 - first version, where the string woulnerability was fixed
       (and people where really getting on my nerves about 4.0b3 in potato
        and upstream was also not really happy about it)

> I'm sorry to hear that, and I'd hate to get your black mark. But I wasn't
> threatening anything, I was just pointing out how alarmed I was to see so many
> packages changed in what I would very much like to believe is a trustworthy
> and stable distribution. And no, I haven't experienced any breakage myself

I think it was already said, that there will be updates to stable and slink
was updated at least 5 times

> (not having installed the new packages), and I'm very glad about that. But
> when the Project Leader says Debian is broken, I believe it.
>
> As I'm writing this email, I've just received the official announcement of
> r1 from Nils Lohner. I quote:
>
>   The Debian team is currently working on several security issues and other bug
>   fixes are pending.  A 2.2r2 release is expected within the next 10 days to

it always happens when you decide to make a release 5 security bugs appear.

>   address these issues.  It is recommended that people wishing to install these
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   updates or create CD images wait until the release of version 2.2r2 to do so.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> OK, it's nice to get the warning, but it still amounts to there being no
> stable version of Debian at the moment, which I think is a situation to be

it is stable, but it not worth to burn, cause there will be a new update
shortly

> It would be different if the installation tools did not silently upgrade to
> the untested point release. In fact, I have a new suggestion to throw out

hey. that's not fair. Most these updates were in proposed-updates for some
time (and I have even fixed some bugs on a updated package)

> It still wouldn't solve the problem of newcomers wanting to try Debian and
> finding that they'd better wait, but maybe they won't mind waiting a little.

people always whine, that we don't release so often, and when an updates after
3 month happens they whine even more.

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}