X 4 and app-defaults

When I installed X4, I got a warning from the xlib install that my
app-defaults /usr/X11R6/lib/app-defaults was not a symlink; that it
should be, and that files there would be ignored.

So I moved the files there into /etc/X11/app-defaults, and I turned
/usr/X11R6/lib/app-defaults into a symlink pointing to
/etc/X11/app-defaults.

Everything worked.

Today's xlib package install fails, though, as follows:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibs_4.0.1-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults', which is also in package xxgdb
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibs_4.0.1-2_i386.deb

Many packages compiled against X3 seem to include this directory in
their package.

What should I do?  Where should the app-defaults be?  Should there be
a symlink?

Thomas