Re: task-kde broken

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, David A. Greene wrote:

> Why did packages sent LATER to
> incoming arrive EARLIER?

This happens quite a bit and there's a good reason for it.  New packages
require an override, whereas upgrades to packages that are already in the
archive do not.  Since I compile most of the packages for Alpha, I see
"incoming lag" more than most people realise.  It's really not a big
problem, IMO, since it's usually only a matter of days before the
depended-upon packages get installed.  If it becomes a problem, though, I
grab the debs and changes file from incoming, check the signature and
integrity of the debs, and install them.

I don't use X often on my Alpha, so I'm usually unaffected by breakages
like you've described (sorry).  Since I do run into compilation dependency
situations, though, I can understand why it is frustrating for you.  I'd
suggest following my procedure for grabbing things from incoming, though,
if you want to get things working again.

It seems that the only real complaint is that the dependencies aren't able
to be satisfied yet.  I personally though apt would hold back on
installing packages with missing deps, but if it isn't in this case, it
probably should be investigated as to why it didn't.

> To my previous question, I received the reply, "it's in incoming."
> I've asked how to get it from incoming, but received little to
> no reply.  I've RTFM'd, but can't find the info.  What am I
> _supposed_ to do?  I'm trying to get a working machine here.

Ok...here's a quick guide.  Go to:
	http://incoming.debian.org
Grab the .deb files that you need AND the corresponding .changes
file.  Before installing the deb(s), check the signature in the .changes
file (with gpg or pgp) to make sure that the upload was done by the person
who claims to have done it.  Also, check that the sizes of the debs and
md5sums match.  Lastly, I usually run a dpkg -c on the package to make
sure that the deb itself wasn't half-uploaded or corrupted in transfer
(this is just a double-check for my paranoia).  After that, it should be
ok to install.

> Yes, that's right.  Because bug reports aren't wanted, I guess.

Well, I think that we all want bug reports, but again, I don't think a
missing dependency that will be satisfied by a package in incoming is
necessarily a bug (that's just my opinion, though)....it's more of a
temporary inconvenience.  Eventually, the package will be in the archive
and, also, there's nothing that the maintainer can do to accelerate the
process even if a bug report was filed.  It would just be another bug that
will end up needing to be closed by the maintainer, despite the fact that
they couldn't prevent it from happening.

Hope this helped...