Policy conflict regarding templates as examples

Hi.  I'm working on a package and I need to store a template
configuration file that I will copy into /etc in my postinst if it
doesn't already exist.

According to policy 4.7.3 (behavior of configuration files), it is
reasonable to install such templates in
/usr/share/doc/package/examples, if they also serve as reasonable
example configuration files.  However, according to 6.7, no program
should reference examples.

Should I interpret this as allowing my maintainer scripts to use the
example files, but not the program during normal operation?