Re: Maintaing an aptable archive with a potato - woody mixture

On 31-Oct-00, 11:59 (CST), Marc Haber <debian-devel.lists.debian.org@marc-haber.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the company I work for relies heavily on Debian for our own servers
> and the systems we sell. We run potato with assorted woody packages
> compiled under potato in cases we _need_ later software than the
> potato-packaged versions. We also want to use apt-get for software
> installations on all our machines. We have a local Debian mirror for
> the i386 architecture.
>

> I'd appreciate your comments.

This seems like an ideal application for the new (not yet released)
apt. Basically, it allows you to pin specific packages at specific
version numbers or releases (potato, woody, etc.) or archives (debian,
local, etc.)

See Jason Gunthorpe's message "APT Testers" of Oct-25 for a *much* more
complete description. Even if it's not ready (i.e. sufficiently tested)
for your needs, the knowledge that it's coming may keep you from needing
to implement a whole new scheme.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read